Sunday, December 2, 2007

Why Can't We All Be Like Dogs?

I don't want to speak to loudly, for fear that the 'god's of bad things' will hear and find need to upset how happy I am right now with how my life is headed. I won't go into detail. Partially because I don't want strangers researching my life via this blog. But right now things are good.
I've often said that I could always find something to complain about, but most people don't want to hear it; and in all honesty, neither do I.
I did want to mention two things that have made me happy: 1) An old friend (old in the sense of we've known each other for a long time) and I are friends again. 2) My grandmother has finally found something to smile about. Tuesday night a friend of my mom, brought her puppies over for my grandma to pick one to purchase. Well, to make a long story short, she went home with two little girl puppies and her smile is a bright as ever-well, at least since before my grandpa died. As I saw the joy in her face, it reminded me of a program I saw once. The program was about children with facial deformities. They highlighted how these children were viewed as 'monsters' and shunned by classmates. One particular scene showed a young girl playing with her dog in the snow. It occurred to me that we have a lot to learn from dogs.
This dog didn't see her deformity. The dog didn't care who she was or what other people thought of her. This dog loved her because she loved it. How I wish that we all could have that same quality. That we could accept others regardless of who they are, what they've done, or where they are going. I wish we all could see the beauty that we all possess. I struggle with this too. And I don't believe it is so much a matter of tolerance. Tolerance to me shouldn't be a temporary aspect of accepting someone, where we 'put up' with them until they are no longer in our lives. And once they leave or we leave them, we can go back to disliking them.
There is no question that some people appear to be harder to love or be friends to than others. Maybe we should even include ourselves as one's some find difficult to befriend and include. I remember being in a single's ward while attending BYU and the theme of the ward was inclusiveness. What a concept many of us seem to struggle with. Why should one person be included because they look a certain way or act a certain way or excluded for the very same reasons? Who decides what is cool and uncool? In this battle for 'popularity' there are always two victims: 1) The group who causes the exclusion, and 2) The person being excluded.

No comments: