Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Favorite Media Dads

I look forward to the day when I am married and have children of my own. Until then I have been making a list of dads from TV/Film that I 'admire.' Some are fictional and others from real life. There are many quality men who qualify. But why a list? Recently I watched Cinderella Man and Pursuit of Happyness. I began to think about the kind of father I hope to be. These men were inspiring. Some of the men on my list aren't your 'Father of the Year' candidates. But they are men who love their kids. So without further ado, in no particular order, my top ten dads of all time:
  1. Mr. Parker (Darren McGavin) A Christmas Story: From his incoherent cussing to his casual looks of annoyance. Mr. Parker, as he's known in the movie, was awesome, period! Mr. Parker: He looks like a deranged Easter Bunny. Mother: He does not! Mr. Parker: He does too, he looks like a pink nightmare!
  2. Homer J. Simpson-The Simpsons: He may not win 'Father of the Year.' Okay, he won't ever win, but when he really must be a good dad, he can. Homer: Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  3. Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith) The Andy Griffith Show: He's actually one of my idols. He was a single father and sheriff in the fictional town of Mayberry, North Carolina. Surrounded by eccentric townsfolk and a bumbling deputy (but you gotta love Barney), Sheriff Taylor brought sanity to Mayberry.
  4. Tie: Ray Barone and Frank Barone (Ray Romano and Peter Boyle) Everybody Loves Raymond: Again, both father and son are not exactly Fathers of the Year material, but pretty cool, easy-going, laid back dads. Frank Barone: [to Ray] You're even dumber than I tell people.
  5. Chris Gardner (Will Smith) The Pursuit of Happyness: This guy was amazing. He showed true love a father should have for a child. If you didn't buy into the movie, and walked away feeling better about life, that is sad. Favorite quote: Chris Gardner to his son: Don't ever let someone tell you, you can't do something. Not even me. All right?
  6. Jim Braddock (Russell Crowe) Cinderella Man: Much like Chris Gardner, a real dad. Jim Braddock: I have to believe that when things are bad I can change them.
  7. Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby) The Cosby Show: He's actually not one of my favorite, favorites. But it's hard to keep him off my list. Clair: So you don't want another child? Cliff: There's times that I don't even want the ones we have.
  8. Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) To Kill a Mockingbird: In a time when showing kindness to a black man was virtually against the law, Atticus raised Jem and Scout to see equality in all people. Atticus: There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.
  9. Jimmy Morris (Dennis Quaid) The Rookie: I love the relationship between Jim Morris and his little son.
  10. Buck Russell (John Candy) Uncle Buck: Yes, I know he's not a dad. This one is for all the uncles out there. As an uncle to 12 nieces and nephews, I've had the opportunity to babysit. You'd be hard pressed to find an a more caring, loving, and funny uncle than Uncle Buck. Buck to niece Tia: Stand me up today, and I'll drive you to school in my robe and pajamas and walk you to your first class.

No comments: